The Baptist Theological Seminary was founded in Rüschlikon by the Foreign Mission Board of the Southern Baptist Convention in 1949. The FMB started the seminary with the purchase of 10 acres and a 40-room mansion. Its doors were opened to students in September 1949. The seminary was handed over to the European Baptist Federation in 1988 and relocated to Prague, Czech Republic in 1997. Over the summer of 2014, the International Baptist Theological Study Centre was established in Amsterdam. Baptists from many countries turned to Rüschlikon for theological education and for international fellowship. The seminary became a very important part of European Baptist life.