The Community of Grandchamp, mid-1940s
The community of Grandchamp is a monastic community of sisters with about fifty members from different churches and various countries. The ecumenical vocation of the community of Grandchamp is committed to the path of reconciliation among Christians and within the human family, and to respect the whole of creation. In the early 1930s a number of women from the Reformed Church of French-speaking Switzerland organized spiritual retreats at Grandchamp, a small hamlet near Lake Neuchâtel. In the mid-1940s the community became stronger in its vocation and began to grow. In 1952, the first sisters committed their lives to the community. They adopted the rules that Brother Roger of nearby Taizé had just introduced. The Taizé office would soon also become the basis of their community and religious life. The two women who founded the community of Grandchamp, Geneviève Micheli and Marguerite de Beaumont, are portrayed in the “Swiss Disciples” exhibition at the Swiss Hub in Karlsruhe.